Domestic violence can be defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner. Abuse is physical, sexual, emotional, economic or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, injure, or wound someone. Domestic violence can happen to anyone of any race, age, sexual orientation, economic class, immigration status, religion, or gender. It can happen to couples that are married, living together, or who are dating. Domestic violence affects people of all socioeconomic backgrounds and education levels
* Threaten to hurt you or other people you care about?
* Hit, kick, punch, push, choke or use physical force against you?
* Criticize or blame you for everything that goes wrong?
* Humiliate you in front of other people?
* Control your access to money?
* Control the decision-making in your relationship?
* Control your time and actions?
* Put you down, call you names, make you feel like you’re crazy?
* Destroy your property or abuse your pets?
* Threaten to hurt you or commit suicide if you leave?
* Force or coerce you to have sex when you don’t want to?
Domestic Violence does not only happen to women. Everyday 4 Women/Men are murdered in the United States from their significant other. Domestic Violence affects 1 in 4 women in their lifetime. Every 9 seconds a women is battered in the United States.
No matter if you are planning on staying or leaving your abusive relationship a safety plan is key in staying safe. Safety plans are designed for YOU, your unique situation and personal to just you. Please reach out today! We will together with you evaluate your situation and come up with a plan in case danger arises.
If someone in your family/friend circle is experiencing domestic violence. Listen and believe are the two most important first steps you can take. Be there for them, and support them and their decisions. It's not always as easy to just LEAVE!!
If you would like to speak with a advocate to answer questions, or to design a safety plan. Please be sure to use a secure form of communication and text or email us.